Friday, July 29, 2011

Poetry

Just got back form a lovely gig at Lopdell House in Titirangi, The Late Great Poetry Show. There were loads of fantastic poets reading their work: Rosetta Allan, Murray Edmond, Siobhan Harvey, Alice Hooton, Michele Leggott, Judith McNeil, Bob Orr, Alistair Paterson, John Pule, Jack Ross, Ila Selwyn, Penny Somervaille, Robert Sullivan, Denys Trussell.
Nigel Gavin and I played some duet pieces, to open the night as guests arrived and in between the sets. I enjoyed Bob Orr the most I think. He reminded me a bit of Bukowski.
Nigel and I played some nice improvised pieces that went own well. Michele Leggott gave Saly Rodwell and Alan Brunton a shout out before her reading which was lovely. I miss those guys.
Ahh poetry. Some of my other favourite poets: Kenneth Rexroth. Robert Creely. Rabrinath Tagore.
I teach a young girl, all of 5 or 6 or 7 years old, the guitar. We mostly have been focusing on nursery rhymes - Row Row Row Your Boat, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star etc... but recently we were inspired to create some original music, and here is the genius that she came up with:

Love and,
family.
Angel... Bruce.

Perhaps you had to, as they say, be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment