Saturday, August 20, 2011

Carriage of Angels

19/8/11
On the train from Henderson back into town and there is a carriage full of disabled folks many in wheel chairs and some not, I'm guessing cerebral palsy issues… hmmm my knowledge of what their conditions might be is very sketchy… but its a joyous ride! They are enjoying being on the train en mass I think. Most of the commuters have scampered to the other end of the train but I have come to join the 'outcasts'. The train guard felt he had to apologize to me, which is sad. These folks have a right to be on this train as much as any the rest of us.
Its the sounds I'm enjoying. Beautiful repetitive groans and whines, sudden rhythmic iterations bu! bu! bu! bu! bu! Its a lively trip! I won't be falling asleep on this journey. The gentleman in front of me has found delight in something and is half singing and half laughing, then breaking into a conversation about next Friday - "it IS next Friday!!" "Whats next Friday?!" "No its Thursday!"
Snatches of conversations being yelled across the carriage. It makes such a refreshing change from the usual polite quite.
Keening and wheezing. Clapping and whistling. But not a riot of sound… more an excited gentle hubbub.
At each stop passengers ready to enter at the rear of the train are asked to go to the front as our carriage is packed to the rafters. The gestures of the guard are echoed by the more able bodied ones, his requests too - "Move up the front of the train thanks." "Up the front!" "Other door!"
The carers traveling with these folks are angels. I bask in their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment