Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Big Day

Music activities on Mon 28th Feb....

9am A meeting at the Auckland University music school w Ron in the jazz department at he Kenneth Myers Center on Shortland Street. I'm tutoring a couple of drummers up there this year - Tristan and Taylor, and I'm mentoring Jazz Combo 8 as well. Ron has put together a thorough bunch of material for the drummers to work through. Classic stuff that I've enjoyed wrestling with myself in the past. It will be nice to re engage with these classic jazz drumming techniques!

11am - 2pm Rehearsing for These Four Walls. A hard core session of blocking scenes, drilling songs, and problem solving tricky bits, of which there are still a few!! Opening night is immanent!

3 - 5pm Combo 8. A nice wee band I'll be working with at AK Uni this semester. Louis on drums, Nik and Sam on guitars, David on bass, Erina on vocals, Alina and Crystal playing piano. The rehearsal room had nice acoustics and natural light. We jammed on a few pieces to get acquanted - an original work by Alina called Saraband, and the ol classics The Girl from Ipaneeeema, Footprints and Bags Groove. ALl the usual issues to be addressed - listening listening listening!! Making the music interesting w devious and cunning tricks. DYNAMICS!!! They sounded pretty good for the first day of semester. We''l have fun I think.

7:30 - 10 Poor Boy band rehearsal. The highlight of my day in that I got to sit down behind my drums and do what I do best - explore my drums with exquisite musicians, which Maree, John and Brett indeed are. We found some gold today, as director Jade Ericson would say, GOLD!!! There's gooold in them there hills! The cello is sweet so sweet. Brett brought some flash pedals and we nailed a few arrangements. Raymond Hawthawne threatened that there would be changes though, so better not get too attached to anything. We spent a bit of time figuring out our set up. As usual the set designers have given the band a very small space to play in... but we came to a cozy solution...

No comments:

Post a Comment