Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Todays work and a gig at the Ak Fest

Had a get together with Sean James Donnelly to discuss plans for our two sets of music this Friday in Aotea Square. I showed him my ideas - a melody and some chords, and Sean is gonna play his iphone synth apps with a keyboard you can plug into it... wow looking forward to hearing that. We rehearsing tomorrow with James Duncan so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping we can have a pretty relaxed jam on the day.

Trained with Fern into the Henderson campus of Unitec to the music department, where I have some teaching work this year, and caught up with Glenda Keame my fabulous boss and Age Pryor who had his first class there today. He had a good time. Mentoring bands is probably one of the most satisfying music teaching gigs I know of - especially when you have colleagues as amazing as the ones at Unitec. My first classes are this Thursday and Friday. My first couple of weeks will be disrupted a bit with Poor Boy rehearsals, but Age can cover me and Glenda is cool with that.

Played my second gig on the TV 3 garden bar stage this eve with The Grant Winterburn Experience - Grant on keys and Aaron Coddel on electric bass. What an eclectic set we played... Grant had an arrangement of Thus Spake Zarasthustra, Aquarious (from the HAIR musical), Caravan, James Brown's I Got You... yes something for everyone. It was a beautiful afternoon.

Ned Ngatai showed up for the dj set afterwards and rightly queried about the lack of free drinks. I must say that the AK Festival doesn't really look after local musicians very well. During the set with Storehouse on Saturday the show in another venue in Aotea Square was running late. Tom, the main vocalist, suggested that we wait and start a bit later and play a bit later, but we had to start at 11pm on the dot and had to play with the main PA speakers turned off until the other show finished, which is kind of ridiculous and inflexible, kind of "computer says no".

No comments:

Post a Comment