Sunday, March 20, 2011

Jazz at the Rotunda

12pm - rocked up to the Auckland Domain Band Rotunda to meet Kingsley and chat about our set this afternoon. It was to be the last in the Jazz at the Rotunda series for this summer. Our band was lead by Kingsley Melhuish, with Neil Watson on guitar and Ross Larson on bass. Kings had put together a nice set of music, which featured his multi-instrumental skills - guitar, trumpet, trombone, conch shells, and vocals. Kings and I have played a lot together over my years in Auckland in various line ups, but I'd never backed him singing before. His voice is beautiful!
Our set:

1. Collective Improv
2. Bemsha Swing (Thelonius Monk)
3. Come Rain or Shine (Harold Arlen lyrics Johnny Mercer)
4. Mood Indigo (Duke Ellington, Barney Bigard lyrics Irving Mills)
5. Don't You Feel My Leg (Danny Barker, J. Mayo Williams, Blue Lu Barker)
6. Monkey Man (Toots and the Maytals)
7. Cy's Eyes (K Melhuish)

What a fresh repertoire. I'd never played Monkey Man, though I know it well. I love playing tunes I know and love for the first time on gigs.

I played the gig on Frank Gibson's drums, a tidy wee Yamaha bebop kit. Tight tuning on the toms, a beautiful snare and lovely small, open bass drum. Apart from the kick pedal which kept slipping off the bass drum, it was enjoyable to play. Cheers Frank!

After our set Frank played with Andy Atwell on bass, Murray McNab keyboards and a visiting saxoophonist and vocalist from the UK. I heard a few of the usual jazz standards before I had to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment