Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Monday night w Elsebeth

2 - 3 Drum lesson. A quick look at the rhythm pyramid and jazz coordination drills. Showed a sneak preview of some advanced metronome techniques I've developed. We then got into Ron Samson's coordination drills, started reading through the Ted Reed Syncopation Studies, and looked at playing Gary Chester's excercises in the context of some basic rock beats. A jammed packed lesson! Afterwards on the walk back to Uni, we played John Stevens ONE TWO game in 2/4 and 3/4.

3 - 5 Combo8 at Auckland University. The group is finding its feet. A big jump from when I last heard them a couple of weeks ago. I showed them some nice arrangement tricks and still trying to get them to crack the dynamic thing. They need to bust out of the gray area and really explore the extremes of very quiet and very loud.

6:30 - 8 Poor Boy. The first early show of the season. The show is consolidating well, though the pre-recorded sound cues get worse with every hearing.

Ended the evening jamming along to my compilation of Alan Lomax recordings of old blues tracks. Elsebeth (my guitar) is sounding wonderful. I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment